April 3, 2012

Happy 5th Birthday and 1000th Post!


Exactly five years ago, I was sitting in my office without much to do. I was soon to be a bride in just over two months and due to early planning, wedding responsibilities were at a temporary standstill. Meanwhile, Brad was hitting the books hard, studying for a huge test, one that covered everything he'd learned in the classroom setting during his first two years of med school and that would also play a huge role in what type of residency he would get in another two years. Essentially, I was bored.

I didn't know much about blogging. I had used the "blog" tool for my Myspace page a bit, but not for anything specific, just random musings. Alas, my days on that out-of-date site were drawing to a close and I put my Facebook profile on hiatus as well, but something kept telling me my social life on the internet wasn't quite done. I had used the Myspace blog to discuss movies some, but I decided that's what I wanted to do all the time and it turned out that starting a blog of my own was quite simple. (Maintaining it over the years, not so much.)

And so I jumped into the world of movie blogging. At first the site was Mrs. Thuro's Movie Rants & Raves (which I changed after a year) and looked a lot different. I just wrote reviews for any movie I watched, and that was it. At first I had maybe five people reading, family and friends of course. Then I happened upon an old (now defunct) blog named Blog Cabins, via the IMDb hitlist. It was run by some guy who really hated Nic Cage and featured in the sidebar a link to an association of movie blogs that claimed to be rather large. A couple of weeks later, I had actual blogging buddies, who have become real friends over the years.

Around the second anniversary, I became determined to reach this day, with a goal of at least five years or 1000 posts, which ever came first, but now I've achieved both. However, I feel there is nothing more for me to do here and that it's time to move on. So thank you for being a devoted reader or just a random guest from a Google image search. Everyone who has taken the time to read and comment has kept me going and I wouldn't have made it this far without them.

The site will be left up for archival purposes, but it will also revert back to the blogspot.com, as there is no point in paying for the domain name anymore.



Please don't think I'm being casual about this. I admit it is difficult to say farewell to this project that is older than my child, my marriage, my job...essentially life as I know it today. However, it is time to move on.

Goodbye.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

16 comments:

  1. I hope you've enjoyed it half as much as we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, I certainly did. Or I wouldn't have made it this far.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Rachel. I'll miss this site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blake! But you can now find me at www.reel-insight.com, so I'm not really gone.

      Delete
  3. Rachel, congrats on hitting the five-year mark. I'll miss the site, but I'm glad that Reel Insight is continuing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan! Hope to see you over there.

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain. It's really difficult to put down something you've worked on for years like this, but when it's to start something fresh and new, the excitement makes it a lot easier. Looking forward to seeing where you two go with the new digs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no secret I've had a bit of senioritis these past few months, as I highly anticipated the change. That being said, this post was most difficult to write and took multiple drafts. A tear may have been shed during the process...

      Delete
  5. Congrats on 1000 posts and your 5th blog anniversarry. Very impressive for a solo blogger to be around this long! I'm sad to see you are hanging up the blogging gloves but I totally understand and it's noble of you to go out on such an awesome milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Castor! Did you not follow the link? I'm not really done blogging. I've moved to www.reel-insight.com as a joint blog with Jess. Hope to see you there!

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you! Didn't see the link there :)

      Delete
  6. So many emotional states reading this. First I was happy to see that you had reached a milestone. Then, I was broken up when I read that you were stopping. Then, I was happy again to know you were merging with Jess. Will obviously have to bookmark it, and maybe make another effort to become a Reel Insight guest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I didn't mean to cause an emotional rollercoster for anyone David. But I can hint that a chance to get a guest spot on the show will be up for grabs starting tomorrow on the new site.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the 5 year mark! I was getting all sad about you leaving, and then I saw those last two words sneak up on me. Quite the change in emotion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red! I'm so happy that Blogger didn't mark your comment as spam this time! Hope to see you over at RI.

      Delete